Thursday, May 21, 2015

Tehran


Our first stop was a visit to the Sarafi or money changer, to convert our dollars and pounds into Iranian rials. Due to international sanctions imposed on Iran, everything needed to be paid for in cash-no credit cards. Three single hundred dollar bills gave me a large, colorful wad of bills and all of them featured the picture of Imam Khomeini. Milad explained the monetary system of rials and tomans. Even though the rial is the official unit of currency, prices are often quoted using the toman. One toman is equal to ten rials. Milad tried to make this concept easier for us to grasp by taking a rial note and covering the last zero. With an exchange rate of 32,000 rials to the dollar this took a bit to get used to.

Rials in hand, we had a delicious meal of kebabs and rice and then headed off to see Golestan Palace. We were greeted at the entrance by a large group of girls on a school field trip with their teacher. They smiled, waved and offered giggly hellos. It was the first of many encounters with groups of friendly students who wanted to welcome us to Iran and practice their English. 





Golestan Palace is set in a lovely garden and is a beautiful complex of buildings in the heart of the busy capital city. A unique combination of European and Persian influences, it is designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. 






Lavish furnishings and extravagant gifts to past rulers of Iran filled grand reception rooms that would not be out of place in the most opulent European palace. My favorite room was the Hall of Mirrors, where gorgeous mirror mosaic work combined with beautifully detailed glass windows. The small pieces of mirror were set in myriad patterns, completely covering the walls and ceiling. The overall effect was wonderfully extravagant and the dazzling play of light unlike anything I have ever seen before.






After our visit to Golestan Palace, Milad took us to a coffee shop for tea and sweets. It was a nice end to our first day in Tehran.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job with the blog.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!!!!
You look so happy:-) :-) :-) :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliments! I had a great time in Iran!

Louise@thelmandlouise.com said...

Connie what a beautiful blog and so much fascinating information. This is a real resource for anyone who wishes to travel intelligently in Iran. I am thrilled that you found like minded companions on Thelmandlouise and that you were able to experience and discover so much together. Your blog has made me want to go to Iran. Thank you.
Best wishes,
Louise
Thelmandlouise.com

Unknown said...

Thank you Louise for your kind comments about my blog. I had a wonderful time in Iran and am happy to share some of my experiences and photos with people interesting in reading about a different kind of travel experience.

I am truly thankful to have discovered wonderful traveling companions, Ishbel and Sue, via Thelma and Louise. The community at Thelma and Louise was incredibly enthusiastic and encouraging about this trip. I am sure I will be planning more trips with the ladies at Thelma and Louise.

Alpana said...

Hi Connie, I am really enjoying reading your blog. My husband, daughter and I plan to visit Iran this month. I really cant figure out how expensive a four day holiday will be. I wanted to know how much a room in a hotel is priced at as also expenses for travel, guide, meals etc. This would help me to decide how much currency I need to carry. thanks so much